Friday 6 April 2007

Reviews of The Butterfly Effect 4 by DFEG

01 Just Can't Get Enough (The Dark Kiss Mix)
Brilliant intro of course! Lots of good ideas and arrangements in there. The track lacks unity as a whole I think, but then that could also be considered good... Check out the early 90s Italian house segment towards the end starting at 4:51!

02 The Sun And The Rainfall (Reaps Spring Time Mix)
I LOVE the intro which made me think of Orbital for some reason. The track can be little monotonous at times - I think it would have benefited greatly from using more effects so the sound would not be so "clean" all the way through.

03 Everything Counts (Dreamtime Mix)
Good old fashioned extended cut. I like the idea of using the 101 version, but would have like more blending of the studio and live versions.

04 Stories Of Old (NerWraK Remix)
I like the driving beats! Good outro too. Overall very efficient if a little same-y at times.

05 Fly On The Windscreen (Axis Draws First Blood Mix)
Great title and concept - where do you get it all from Ax? Very clean drums and bass - maybe too clean? (I'm a sucker for filtered, twisted sounds as you might have noticed...)

06 I Want You Now (Jerry Jay's Synthoromantic Love Dub)
My favorite so far. Excellent production and lots of personality. Really good electro vibe.

07 Blue Dress (Apathy In Motion Mix)
Excellent intro and use of the orchestral and piano pads. Very atmospheric througout with great touches here and there, like the clarinet.

08 Rush (And A Push And The Mix Is N-I's)
A very difficult song to remix in my opinion, and the result is excellent! It was a challenge to make the additional layers and the original sound coherent with such a grungy original sound, so hats off!

09 The Love Thieves (Instrumentalium)
Very well produced with a nice relaxed feel. A good instrumental, somewhere in between a cover and a remix. Just a little short maybe?

10 I Feel Loved (Car Dealer Version)
Nice to hear a bit of hardcore once in a while! I would have benefited from the addition of a good old 303 in my opinion, but that's just me. In love twiddling knobs (no pun intended).

11 The Darkest Star (DFEG's White Dwarf Mix)
No comment. I should have used more compression when mixing it down, if you ask me. Also, I have to come clean: the bassline was very much inspired from Ikon - Signs (Jody Wisternoff Remix). It's the second track in this mix, you'll see what I mean... and the organ almost a straight lift off the live version of Madonna's Live to Tell from the recent Confessions Tour. There, I feel better know I've confessed.

No comments: