Saturday 7 April 2007

Reviews of The Butterfly Effect 4 by Roxy

1) JCGE - Dark Kiss DXL
WTF?? HAHAHAHAHA!! This set me up for a FUN song... and you didn't disappoint! I almost died laughing at the opening part!!! Solid "get up and dance" mix. Your clapping sequence at 4:13 is mega and the stuff at how you transition at 4:28 is great. 5:42 has some great synth stuff going. This is a happy version of a happy song. Nicely done... I guess it's how it should be, but it sounds as if the end is cut off..

2) TSATR - Reaps Spring Time Mix
After the uplifting start to this compilation, I was surprised to be calmed down so suddenly by this mix. It has a peaceful quality to it.. lovely transition at 1:37 and the drum sequence from the POT mix from Reaps' 3rd volume was a nice surprise as I was not expecting them to appear here. Nice chimes at 2:34 but I think a split second late.. Amazing beat going on at 4:00 - love that synth stuff and the way he throws everything at it in layers at about 4:34, then backs away to the river sounds. mmm. Reaps Labor of Love Mix, no?

3) EC - Dreamtime Mix
Erm... not a lot going on here but for echos at the beginning and end. I mean, nothing WRONG with it, but... well... not much to say.

4) Stories of Old - NerWrak Remix
Wow, very cool beat straight off! Very impressive mix, I like this one a lot. Good transition at 2:37 and very nice at 3:44!! Interesting use of the M&S whip and great ending. Driving, cool, nicely done. Thank You!

5) FOTW - Axis Draws First Blood Mix
Ok, hated it. Sorry, Axis. Take all of those damn movie moments out, PLEASE. Way too distracting... other than that the beat is good, but it just goes on and on. Cool stuff at 4:29 and at 4:54 but frankly, I found it tedious... I kind of wanted to turn it off at 6:23...

6) IWYN - Jerry Jay's Synthoromanic Love Dub
I hate the song, IWYN. I was very non-plussed that I had to listen to a mix of it in the first place, much less one that went on for over 8 1/2 minutes! Well, ok, I put it on and was blown away, immediately..! Mostly because it doesn't sound like IWYN, thank God! All through this mix, I was surprised by how different it is, how imaginative, how dark and sexy. Amazing transition at 7:17 to a fecking GREAT synth sequence! Hmm, I'd call it the Twilight Harem Mix... yes, I would. I want you now, indeed. LOL

7) Blue Dress - Apathy in Motion Mix
I really do like this mix, my problem with it is that it sounds muffled. I'd love to hear a clean copy of it one day. Nice treatment, bad acoustics... 3:00 nice transition and a lovely end. Any chance of a redo?

#8 Rush - ...Mix is NIs
Way nice at the beginning here and the sequence at 0:17 is great but it doesn't change for almost 3 minutes! There is a nice part at 2:22 but generally it's monotonous. Sorry, Numie - a bit more variety would help loads.

9) The Love Thieves - Instrumentalium
Lovely, absolutely gorgeous. Wow.

10) IFL - Car Dealer Version
Erm.. What? Do we need another IFL mix?? Ack! Sorry, not my thing at all, not just that it's IFL. There are some interesting things going on at 1:19 and at 3:02 but I don't like listening to a mix for a couple of neat effects.

11) TDS - DFEG's White Dwarf Mix
Interesting treatment. I love the orig. song, so I was interested in what you might do.... sorry but all I can say is "interesting" because it IS, but that's it. I can't think of anything else to add.

No comments: